Wednesday, January 16, 2013

what I am working on now....

It has been a slow crafting start to 2013, just busy with life in general, but I always have my hand in something, or else I would have no excuse and have to clean up my tornado of a sewing space ;)

Quilting-wise, I am really excited about the newest improv top I have started.  I am using a bunch of my favorite fabrics and slashing them up, no measurements, and then am piecing them together as I go, adding bits of neutral scraps here and there.  I came up with the idea and had a rough sketch drawn in about 3 minutes, and usually my favorite quilts start that way, just done for the love of stitching.  I have a recipient in mind for this, but no timeline, so I will pick at blocks here and there. Here is what I have so far.

In the knitting arena, I decided a new year warranted casting on a new sweater!  The pattern is the top-down cable yoke jacket by Cotton and Cloud, and has the sweetest braided cable yoke and a hood. This will be a longer term project, and is for The Middle Child, who is so sweet and my biggest crafting cheerleader.  She was asking for a purple sweater and this yarn, Malabrigo Rios in Purpuras, is knocking me out with its softness and gorgeous tones.  Might need a big-girl one!  It is coming along quickly thanks to my latest obsession, Downton Abbey.  I treated myself to seasons 1 and 2 as an early birthday gift and so that has planted my arse on the couch with my knitting needles more frequently than normal.  In fact, I have named this the "Downton Sweater" and have joined up with the Downton Abbey Knit Along over at luv in the mommyhood.  Good fun!  Just started Seaason 2 and really enjoying it!




I have a couple other quilts to finish up, and a swap project to work on, so I am hoping to get some time to get at these!  In the meantime, my sidekick and I are likely curled up on the couch like this.... :)




downton abbey knit along

9 comments:

katie@stvital said...

I love the knit sweater - in progress!

Marla said...

If you are craving Downton try Upstairs, Downstairs too. Its like Downton but made in th 70s :)

I love that purple. so rich.

Jessica Kelly said...

Wow! I am in awe of your sweater... I can barely manage socks! Lucky little girl :-)

Lynne said...

Love that purple sweater and the quilt blocks look great!

Angela said...

You know I love that sweater! So much so that I bought the same yarn to copy you in a lame hat kind of way. ;)

Poppyprint said...

Goodness, that is an adorable sweater!!! Loving your cross quilt so far. That's the best kind of project!

Kim said...

Downton - have you been watching Ripper Street, and Selfridge over on ITV. I love period drama, but hate that it takes me away from my machine - perhaps I ought to use these TV opportunities to try and graduate up from just knitting cowl scarves!

Kelsey said...

That sweater is going to be amazing! That jewel tone purple is pure bliss. I recently got hooked on Downton myself (be sure to find the holiday specials between season 2-3 and 3-4). Such a great show for craft time, that sweater will be done in no time!

Jacey said...

I really love how fast that sweater is coming together. The color is gorgeous, and I'm a sucker for anything with cables!